Thursday, August 5, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 08/04/2021: A Gift for Luna and Copper, Organizing the House, A Semi-Siena Breakfast

1.  I gleefully dashed to the front door and brought in my latest purchase for Luna and Copper. With my heart thumping, I opened the package and immediately assembled the 21 inch tall scratching post with a ball to play with attached to it. Copper and Luna were relaxing in the smoke and heat on the back porch and I thought long and hard about the perfect spot to place their new post and could hardly wait to see their excitement when they came back in the house and saw their dream scratching post.

A while later Luna and Copper came back in the house.

Neither of them acknowledged the post. 

Luna walked right by it.

Copper scratched for a second on the side of the couch. 

I guess it wasn't exactly Christmas in August for Luna and Copper.

2. We don't have a lot of book shelf space in the house. I've bought several new books over the last year or so and have received several great books as gifts. I try, not always successfully, to send something out of the house when something new comes in.  I like to live with as few things around as possible -- especially since our house is small. 

So, today, I gathered and stacked books from different rooms. I gathered up magazines, too. I also gathered up stray documents that were lying around and need to be filed. I'm in the midst of trying to figure out where to put the books and magazines I want to keep and where to donate the books I want to send on. I'll recycle the magazines I don't want. This is a pretty good project I'm working on, slowly. 

I'm more relaxed when things are less cluttered, papers are filed, and whenever I let go of what feels like excess stuff -- even books. 

Or a scratching post? (We'll see!)

3. As time crawls along, those occasional days when I'd go down to 853 E. 13th in Eugene for breakfast at the now defunct Siena Cafe inevitably fade away. 

This morning, however, I imperfectly brought those days back. I used to order a breakfast that included corn chips on scrambled eggs. I bought a bag of corn chips yesterday and, this morning, I scrambled a couple of eggs, and, as they were nearly firmed up, topped them with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and Juanita's corn chips and topped it all with salsa. This approximated the Siena breakfast, but because I didn't have any cooked beans handy and didn't feel like making refried beans this morning, it fell short of the meal I used to enjoy years ago.

No problem. I'm glad I thought to make my eggs this way. If I'd had it on hand, sour cream would have been good. My guess is that the more I mess around with this egg/cheese/corn chip combo, the more I'll make it into my own dish and the less I'll even try to accurately remember, let alone recreate, the food I ate years ago at Cafe Siena. 

No comments: