Thursday, August 12, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 08/11/2021: Good Kidney News, I'll Have an Everything Bagel, Phone Gin

1. Because my lab work results arrive to me online well ahead of my appointment with Dr. Bieber, I read the results in advance and so today I was all but certain of what he was going to say when we met. 

I was right. My numbers remain stable and a couple of them reflected, in a positive way, that I've cut way back on eating meat. I'm not strict about this -- I eat meat outside the home and will fix some meals with meat at home when the temperatures cool down -- but limiting my consumption of animal protein is better for my renal health.

I also know some edema has set in. I'm retaining a small amount of fluid in my lower legs and around my ankles. Dr. Bieber and I have discussed this development in the past and today he didn't find any real increase and no need to start me on a diuretic. Likewise, my blood pressure is slightly higher than I'd like, but not enough to warrant an increase in the dosage of my medicine. 

I've written it before and I'll write it again now. 

You don't want my kidney numbers. 

You don't want your kidney function to be at 15%.

But, I'm getting a lot out of good work out of the kidney function I have left and I'm not currently losing ground.

Things are stable. 

Therefore, I'll return in November to see how things look then.

2. I lived near the Bagel Bakery in Eugene for many years and could also buy their bagels in different places around Eugene. I loved most of their bagels, but never really enjoyed either the onion bagel nor the everything bagel.

Well, my taste it is a changin'!

The Bean here in Kellogg sells plain and everything bagels from Sweetwater Bakery in Post Falls.

On a lark last week, when I ordered a toasted bagel with lox, cream cheese, capers, and onion, I took a chance and had it made on an everything bagel.

I loved it. 

I'm not sure what makes Sweetwater's way of making the everything bagel so tasty to me, but I'm totally on board with it.

So, today, to add further enjoyment to having seen Dr. Bieber, I stopped in at the Bean and ordered an everything bagel toasted with cream cheese, brought it home, and my love affair with this bagel grew.

3.  Well, this afternoon I cooked up some jasmine rice and warmed up the shrimp/sausage foil packet I didn't eat at family dinner last night and it was a terrific meal. 

Later on, Debbie called again and we had fun not only talking and dreaming about some future possibilities in our life together, but tonight we also had an over the phone cocktail party. We both mixed gin with Rose's lime juice. Debbie's cocktail featured Gray Whale gin, mine Crater Lake. 

Ha! We both finished our first cocktail at about the same time and were in synch as we each put down our phones and mixed a second. 

It was fun. 

Actually, really fun. 


No comments: