Saturday, August 14, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 08/13/2021: Indoors, Kellogg History, Dream Big --- Why Not?

1.  Well, fortunately, it's comfortable and cool in the house because I simply don't want to be outside when the temperature rises to the mid to high 90s and with the air so smoky. I resist complaining. Complaining sours my disposition and I prefer not to be sour, if at all possible.  Instead, I do all I can to enjoy all that is available to me in my immediate environment -- and there's a lot to keep me occupied and happy in this house. I'm fortunate that I'm not a restless soul.

2.  I spent much of today exploring some Kellogg history. Some questions came up as I was messaging with Stu and I contacted Roberta Brainard Garner about a few things and later posed a few history questions to Sharann Watson. I got out yearbooks. I read passages from Roberta Brainard Garner's book, Pay the Piper: Growing Up in North Idaho and Stu and I got things pretty well straightened out. I don't know where my memory is starting to fail me and where I don't know things because I didn't pay attention when I was young.  It would be a huge help, and I'm dreaming here, if all the past issues of the Kellogg Evening News were scanned, archived, and available online. That would help answer a bunch of questions!

Since buying Pay the Piper, I've enjoyed jumping around in Roberta's book, reading passages out of order and focusing on specific time periods she writes about. Today, however, I decided to switch my approach to her book and start at the beginning and read straight through -- and I'm enjoying it, just as I enjoyed jumping around.

I'll add one more thing here: the questions Stu and I had rose out of me telling Stu that Roberta's son-in-law is the master brewer at Sacred Waters Brewing in Kalispell -- Stu's daughter and son-in-law were going to a concert in Kalispell Friday night. Mentioning Roberta brought up some questions and I had fun pursuing the answers -- harmless questions -- what year did Roberta's sister, Wendy, graduate? And other stuff like that. Nothing momentous. 

3. Debbie called this evening and we expanded our thinking regarding possible things we might do when we see each other again. Debbie brought a powerhouse stout from Firestone Walker to our conversation (I haven't been able to nail down its name) and I poured myself a Trail's End bourbon with ice and water again. Who knows what we'll actually do when the time comes to resume our in-person companionship? But it's a lot of fun to put a variety of ideas on the table. 

No comments: