Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 08/10/2021: Embarrassment, Family Dinner, Books

1. I can be an embarrassing person sometimes. 

I can also be embarrassed by things I do.

Today, I don't know if my family found me an embarrassment, but I was certainly embarrassed.

I got hungry around 3:30/4:00 this afternoon and fixed myself some penne pasta with butter pepper and the fancy hard cheese I got at Costco that I can never remember the name of, grated.

Eating this food put me to sleep and I had just awakened when, around 5:20, I got a text message from Christy. She and Carol wondered if I was running late for family dinner at 5:00. Then Christy backed up her text message with a phone call.

Well, in my mind, I wasn't running late at all. 

I thought our family dinner was on Wednesday! 

I'd told Debbie it was on Wednesday. In message with Stu, I'd told him we were having family dinner on Wednesday. When I ate a bowl of pasta, I did so thinking family dinner was on Wednesday.

Nope.

It was today. So I shook myself awake, told Christy I wouldn't be making the cocktails I'd been assigned, vaulted into the Sube and arrived late for dinner.

Much to my embarrassment.

2. So, I arrived for dinner. Paul and Carol teamed up to prepare and grill foil packets of shrimp, sausage, corn, and red potatoes. I brought my packet home. I'll eat it by myself in honor of thinking family dinner was on Wednesday! Carol made a terrific fruit pie and Christy fixed a really delicious strawberry after dinner drink. Tonight's dinner also extended the celebration of Molly's birthday. This was Zoe's last night in Kellogg, so she joined up. I also got to meet Carol and Paul's new puppy, Cleo. Paul and I played a round of corn hole in the back yard. We all talked together about a million things and had a fun time together.

3.  I am slowly, not very surely, working to reshelf our books. We have more books than shelf space right now and I am slowly, not at all surely, trying to figure out how I want to deal with this fact. 

No comments: