Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 08/16/2021: Luna Is in Good Health, Warding Off Anxiety, Relaxing Food

 1.  I'm probably a helicopter cat care taker when it comes to Luna and Copper. I had some concerns, starting Saturday, about Luna's "performance" in the litter box and wondered if she'd come down with a UTI. If so, it would be her second one since she moved in with me. I made an appointment at the vet late this afternoon. Dr. Cook, after performing a urinalysis, reported the news was all good. Luna's diabetes has not returned. The sample showed no sign of urinary tract infection. It's possible the sample showed some sign of inflammation, so, as a precautionary measure, Dr. Cook gave her an injection of antibiotics. No medicine at home. I just need to continue to jump in my helicopter and hover over Luna and make sure she is doing all right. 

2. I'm trying to keep my minute to minute, hour to hour attention on taking care of things in the small world of my household: taking care of Luna and Copper, trying to keep the kitchen cleaned up, getting ready for family dinner, trying to work out cat care for Copper and Luna when the time comes to meet up with Debbie back east and return home (the timing of this is very much up in the air -- I get it and am at peace with the uncertainty). But, the big world outside my also compels my attention and a lot of my concern. The Deceitful Fire southwest of Murray, up the North Fork of the CdA River, is largely uncontained. Evacuations have begun. Friends' properties are possibly in the line of fire. 

The grimness of the local situation adds to the grimness in the larger world as the delta variant continues to spread and as the USA extracts itself from Afghanistan, among other things.  I try to stay focused on things in my life I can directly affect. For many, many years, I thought that not to feel anxiety was a sign of apathy, but I am coming to see that I can be concerned about fires and the pandemic and US actions abroad, among a galaxy of other terrible things in the world, but I don't have to live in a state of agitation, preoccupation, and restlessness about them.  I live better, am healthier, am a better friend, a better sibling, a better reader and writer, if I can maintain some degree of internal equilibrium. So, that's what I try, not always successfully, to sustain.

3. Does it help me to quiet myself by popping a big bowl of popcorn and sitting quietly in the living room and enjoying it with a few swigs of club soda? 

Yes. 

This evening, I didn't feel like stimulating myself by reading or watching something on the Vizio, so I made popcorn. Some foods are comfort foods -- for me, popcorn is relaxing food and it worked. The house was quiet. I was still. And I ate popcorn. I topped it off with more relaxing food: a Heath Bar coated Klondike bar. I slept peacefully afterward. 

No comments: