Sunday, May 8, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 05-07-2022: Shopping for Mother's Day, Ed and Mike and I Meet at the Lounge, I Marinated Olives

 1. With family dinner falling on Mother's Day, it's almost like a birthday dinner for Carol. She got to decide what Christy, Paul, Molly, Tracy, and I will prepare for our Mother's Day blowout. I'm going to save the details about what we are eating until I write tomorrow about the dinner itself. I will say, though, that I am in charge of the appetizer, main dish, and a side dish. I hotfooted it over to Yoke's today and bought the food I need to meet Carol's wishes (turns out I didn't get enough olives -- I'll need to make a quick trip back). Christy was also at Yoke's. She had food prep ahead of her, too. 

I had a moment at the check out stand. The checker scanned all my groceries and waited for the receipt to pop out. She remarked, "This thing sure is being slow. Must all the customers shopping for Mother's Day." We waited. We waited some more. Then she checked the debit card machine. My card was in the machine, but I was daydreaming about my fantasy baseball teams or something, and I hadn't answered the cash back question or put in my PIN. 

"Oh! I'm sorry! I'm the hold up here!" I sputtered. I apologized to the checker, the woman behind me in line, and would have jumped on the PA and apologized to God and the whole store had I needed to, but instead I blushed, answered that I didn't want cash back, entered my PIN, gathered my daydreaming self and got out of there.

2. I plopped down on a stool at the end of the bar at the Lounge and waited for Ed and Mike to arrive. As Cas and I got to yakkin' about me driving Mike and Ed to SeaTac in a couple of weeks, we exaggerated my drive into me driving Ed and Mike to Iceland so they wouldn't have to fly. This became the joke of the late afternoon. When Ed and Mike arrived, Cas told them how much they must appreciate that I would be driving them to Iceland. It was never not funny.

Ed, Mike, and I grabbed seats at the small table right behind the bar. Mike was chilled after having watched his granddaughter play soccer in the rain today, so, along with his beer, he ordered a shot of Pendleton Canadian Whiskey. I interrupted his order and said, "No. Bring us each a shot of Pendleton 1910 Rye Whiskey." Ed wanted a shot, too, so I was thrilled to introduce Mike and Ed to my new favorite whiskey. We were all impressed with its easy drinking smoothness. I like what I experience as its subtle brown sugary sweetness. We didn't throw back our shot. We sipped and savored it and enjoyed a couple of beers, too. One shot of that whiskey is my limit, but it's sure tempting to order more than one. 

We got our May 26th trip to SeaTac figured out. Turns out Ed and Mike are going to fly to Iceland after all. I'm not driving them.  Then we ordered dinner from Wah Hing. I enjoyed my house special  Lo Mein noodles with oyster sauce and my order of pot stickers and happily brought leftovers home.

3. Back home, I assembled the olives and other ingredients I needed to make one part of the Mother's Day appetizer and sealed it in a container so the olives could, as the recipe suggests, sit overnight so the flavors of the ingredients they were marinating in could meld. Details tomorrow. 

No comments: