Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 05-17-2022: Chrissie Hynde in the Lobby, Sampling West Coast Hazys, Poetry Break!

 1. I leapt into the Sube first thing this morning and blasted over the pass to CdA to have the Sube inspected and serviced. Before I left, I scrolled through the Hard Rain and Slow Trains archive and, much to my delight, discovered that back in June, 2021 Dan Mackay had broadcast an episode devoted to Chrissie Hynde. Being out of it about these things, I had no idea that Chrissie Hynde had released an album of Bob Dylan covers entitled, Standing in the Doorway. In this episode, Dan not only played tracks from the new album, he also surveyed Chrissie Hynde's staggeringly brilliant 40+ year career, playing such early tracks as "Brass in Pocket" and "Don't Get Me Wrong" and "Back on the Chain Gang". Among other delights, Dan played excerpts from Hynde being interviewed over the years and played a superb mix of live performances and studio recorded tracks. 

It's hard to imagine a more enjoyable way to wait for the Sube to be tended to. As an added bonus, while Dan's show would have been an hour long on his radio show, the podcast version runs for just about 90 glorious minutes. This worked out especially well because the guys didn't get the Sube in right at 9:00 and that gave me plenty of time to hear the entirety of this episode:  "The Great Pretender: The Music of Chrissy Hynde."

Maybe you, too, would enjoy listening to this episode. If so, just click here

2. I zoomed straight home after the car was done, stopping at Costco to fill up with gas. I checked in at home to see if I might pick up some groceries on my trip uptown to vote.

Debbie didn't want much at the store, but she did want me to buy, in her words, "a good hazy".

I picked up a few food items at Yoke's and then surveyed the beer cooler. None of the hazy IPAs we have enjoyed while back in New York make it out this way -- at least not to Kellogg! -- and so I thought we'd find out it the hazy IPAs from two reliable breweries, Sierra Nevada and Firestone Walker, might hit the spot.

They pretty much did. We split a 12 oz can of Firestone Walker's Mind Haze and a 12 oz can of Sierra Nevada's Little Hazy Thing and while neither beer sent us over the moon, they both were pretty tasty. 

3. Tonight Bill Davie presented another Tuesday evening episode of  Poetry Break live on Facebook. My sense is that Bill is in search of a groove -- he wants to read for about 45 minutes and present a variety of poems. He wants to read some of his own, which he did, read poems requested by his viewers, which he did, and read original poems written by viewers, which he did. I think he found a groove tonight. 

It was awesome. Bill's working out his experiences with aging in short pieces that are part journal entry part poem and reads them to us in their unedited form. He read poems by Langston Hughes and by a Ukranian poet and others by request and closed his reading with a fresh and superb poem about roses composed by his longtime friend, Mary Pecka. (It was the first time I've ever heard a poem about a rose make a reference to Iggy Pop!) 




No comments: