Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 05-10-2022: Planning My Trip, Banking, Curry and *Poetry Break*

1. It's looking more and more like when I drive Mike and Ed to SeaTac on May 26th that I'll spend two nights in the Seattle area and, after a get together during the day (I hope) in Chehalis, end up in Portland on Saturday night so I can visit Patrick and Meagan and then head home to Kellogg on Sunday. I am still piecing things together, but that looks like the general plan right now.  

2. I've needed to close out a checking account at Wells Fargo for a few weeks and delayed it out of caution in case we had one last need to use that account. Today I decided that the time was right and I hustled uptown and got that task completed and deposited the money elsewhere. 

3. I've done quite a bit of cooking lately, leaving me with a pretty good supply of leftovers. This evening, I tuned into Bill Davie's live Poetry Break webcast at 7:00 and enjoyed leftover curry over jasmine rice from last week. Soon I'm going to make another curry and slice up some of that pork I roasted on Monday and find out if I like pork as a protein in a curry sauce. I can't remember ever trying that before.

Bill's poetry reading this evening was powerful. Tonight Bill fulfilled a request to read the popular early 20th century poem, "The Highwayman"by Alfred Noyes. He also read poems by Mark Kenney, a regular listener to and commenter on Bill's online concerts and readings. Bill read some of his own work about aging. Lately, Bill has been focusing his reading (and rereading) on poetry by women and he read powerful poems by Eileen Myles, Chrystos, and Ruth Stone. 

I sure enjoy Bill's approach to giving these weekly readings. His idea to field people's request to hear poems they loved hearing as kids and to read submissions of viewers' own poetry gets us, as viewers, involved more fully in his broadcast and he compliments these poems intelligently with poems written by long established published poets, making his programs touching, powerful, and memorable. 

No comments: