Friday, May 27, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 05-26-2022: Easy Drive to SeaTac, Afternoon with Hugh and Carol, The Bliss of Japanese Food

 1. I was out the door around 6:30 this morning to put gas in the Camry and blast to Kingston to pick up Ed. He loaded up his gear and we soared across the eastern and central Washington to Ellensberg where we picked up Mike at a Starbucks shop. I bought a bracing cup of coffee and a satisfying almond croissant.  We stopped at McDonald's so Ed could grab some food. Soon we were rocketing over the Snoqualmie Pass and descending into the Greater Seattle area, heading south to the SeaTac Airport where Mike and Ed bolted out of the car, grabbed their luggage, and, in several hours, would be flying to Iceland.

2. I arrived a couple of hours before my check-in time at the Best Western Plus Renton Inn, but the guy at the counter said a room was ready for me.

No it wasn't.

It hadn't been cleaned and it smelled of cigarettes.

I returned to the counter.

"I'm very sorry. Here are the keys to another room."

It was much better.

Around 3:00, Hugh C. swung by the motel, picked me up. Hugh showed me all the really tasteful and practical ways they'd improved their house over the years and then Hugh, Carol, and I spent a couple of hours enjoying food from a superb spread Carol prepared: chicken wings, cut vegetables and dip, crackers and hummus, rolls made from wraps, and other fresh delights. Hugh and I split a couple of beers and the three of us listened to some classic rock and yakked comfortably about all sorts of things.

3. We had a 6:15 reservation to meet at Nishino, a quiet and lovely Japanese restaurant in the Madison Park neighborhood so we piled into Hugh and Carol's vehicle and headed into Seattle.

After a gorgeous drive along Lake Washington, we settled into Nishino.

I wanted to order the entire menu. 

But, I settled down, and, to start, I ordered a cocktail. I had just mixed Negronis for family dinner Monday night and Nishino offered a gin, Campari, red plum wine (instead of sweet Vermouth) Negroni. I had to try it and it was just what I'd hoped for -- complex in its flavors and refreshing.

Nishimo's masterly menu of a wide variety of Japanese delights dizzied me, but I settled down, cleared my head, and, as best I remember ordered the following superb items:

*spicy garlic butter miso soup with clams and mushrooms

* six oysters on the half shell bathed in a heavenly combination of Japanese seasonings

* scallop sashimi

* octopus nigiri

* a soft crab sushi roll 

I also enjoyed a glass of pinot noir wine.

Our splendid conversation carried over fromHugh and Carol's house to the restaurant. Our dinner was a hedonist's delight. Hugh took a long way back to his and Carol's house so we could tour more of Seattle.

Back at Hugh's, Carol served us a pumpkin cheese cake with a salted caramel sauce and a dollop of whipped cream. I loved it, especially with the accompanying English Breakfast tea, and by around 9:00, I was sated, calmed by great food and conversation, and ready to head back to my room for pleasant night's sleep. 


 



No comments: