Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 12-19-2022: Getting Out of Town!, Fun Stop at Fred Meyer, Envelope Stuffing for the All-Class Reunion

 1. You know what? I had fun today just getting out of the house and getting out of town. Debbie and I broke our usual inertia and actually got going to Coeur d'Alene a little after noon with a very modest agenda in mind. We dropped in to Great Clips and both got a haircut. While waiting for my turn at the parlor, I scooted over to Costco and filled up the Camry with petrol. We cruised the aisles of Costco for a while. I marveled at the overflowing shopping carts all around me, hardly able to hold all the prime ribs, shrimp trays, bottles of wine, blocks of cheese, boxes of crackers, and other items, all promising to help make holiday get togethers and feasts festive and tasty. I was there mostly for paper towels and Peet's ground French roast coffee and a couple sleeves of bagels, but Debbie also purchased some items for her students and some clothing for herself. 

2. Upon leaving Costco, we decided to blast over to Fred Meyer where Debbie bought some more clothing items, mostly to teach in, and I zeroed in on the "healthy foods" dairy case and bought a quart of Nancy's Raspberry Kefir and a few other items, including smoked salmon and cream cheese for our bagels. It was just starting to get dark when we left Fred Meyer, but it didn't get pitch black until about the time we reached Kellogg and, thankfully, the freeway from CdA to Kellogg was not icy, not snowy, and made for comfortable driving conditions.

3. At 6:30, I rocketed over to the what used to be the Kellogg Middle School. You'd think now that I've lived in Kellogg for five years, I'd know what the old Kellogg Middle School is called now. 

I don't.

I just know it's where I go once a month for All-Class Reunion Committee meetings.

It was cold out. Snowy. A good night to stay home! 

Some people were hosting guests tonight. Others are beset by injury and illness. So for these and other solid reasons, we had a small turnout for tonight's envelope stuffing meeting. Undaunted, the seven of us got right down to business and stuffed registration forms and schedules into envelopes and affixed return address labels and stamps on them. I brought about 60-70 forms and envelopes and labels and stamps home after I worked at the meeting for about an hour and a half. I will continue to contribute to this huge task, working at home.  The people in charge of collecting addresses have discovered that a pretty significant number of KHS grads over the last several decades do not have email addresses, so this project is about doing our best to get the word out to them about the reunion by mail. 


No comments: