Friday, December 23, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 12-22-2022: More Arctic Air, Tomato Soup, Hmmm--Michael Walker and Jon Lord . . .

1. The wind chill temperatures dipped below zero again today and we stayed put. Debbie and I got a few things done around the house. It was pretty much a day of hibernation.

2. I ate hot and comforting tomato soup around dinner time. 

3. I returned to Deep Purple and listened again to interviews with the band members about the album Machine Head and raised my chilly spirits by listening to a few tunes. I especially enjoy Jon Lord's parts on the Hammond organ. For me, Lord's work adds layers of beauty and innovation to Deep Purple's songs, giving their heavy metal sound drive, depth, and sophistication. 

I had one random and odd thought today. Wouldn't it be fun (at least for me) if any of the Portland bands that Michael Walker plays for would cover, say, "Lazy" and let Michael Walker, himself a maestro on keyboards, wail away on Jon Lord's parts. 

(Then I had a second thought: instrumentally, the boys Michael Walker plays with could all cover Deep Purple, but, good God, no one I know of could bring Ian Gillan's soaring vocals to these covers.)  

No comments: