Saturday, December 24, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 12-23-2022: Polar Vortex Tasks, Tom and Jerry Party, Staying Warm and Happy at The Lounge

1. Kellogg's version of the polar vortex continued today, combining single digit temperatures with fresh snowfall. I bundled up a couple of times and cleared the sidewalks, opting to shovel shallow snow accumulation twice rather than a deeper accumulation once. The shoveling itself went well. Enduring the frigid temperatures was more difficult, but I got my tasks done. 

2. Around 3:00, I knocked the snow off the Sube, made sure the doors were not frozen shut, turned the engine over, and warmed up the old horse in preparation for bulldozing our way to Carol and Paul's for a low key and relaxing Tom and Jerry party. Using Dad's recipe, Carol whipped up a batch of Tom and Jerrybatter and the hot water, rum, and brandy worked together great and we enjoyed our hot drinks. Carol had also just finished making a batch of Nuts and Bolts (a.k.a. for most people Chex Mix) using a recipe Grandma Woolum introduced into our family nearly 60 years ago. The Nuts and Bolts were warm, right out of the oven, and, as always, paired perfectly with the Tom and Jerry drinks. 

Christy joined us after a while. So did Molly. It was a good little gathering, a warm up for the three straight days of get togethers we have planned for December 24, 25, & 26!

3. Debbie and I shoehorned ourselves back into the Sube and snowmobiled up Hill Street and found a parking spot on McKinley and dropped in on a merry scene at The Lounge.

The group of Wallace High grads from about 40-55 years ago who go to a different bar every Friday were in The Lounge this afternoon and I shared some warm words and an embrace with Rob Gillies. Debbie and I bellied up to the bar. The Fitzes were in the house and Debbie and Deanne fell into conversation about life at Pinehurst Elementary School and a host of other subjects. I asked Cas to make me a hot drink simply combining rum, brandy, and hot water. I got in some solid yakkin' with Cas as well as with Bucky and Debbie. Mostly, I soaked up the plentiful good cheer, the happy vibes in The Lounge and kept myself comfortably warm with my hot drink. 

No comments: