Thursday, December 22, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 12-21-2022: Dealing with the Arctic Blast, Birthday Cocktails, Revisiting *Machine Head* on *Classic Albums*

1. I warmed myself with a cup of coffee first thing this morning and then I shoveled the snow that fell Tuesday afternoon and into the evening. Today's forecast was for frigid temperatures but no new snow. I was very happy to get this job done right off the bat. Later, I went back out into the frigid air with a broom and knocked snow off the Sube and I made sure the car doors weren't frozen shut. They weren't! Now the way was clear for a trip to Yoke's! 

2. Today was Debbie's birthday. For her birthday, she asked if we could spiff up the living room and we did. She also wanted to go to The Beanery for a cocktail. We did that, too. Back home, we enjoyed a ham and bean dish Debbie had been working on for the past day or so and it was warming and delicious. 

3. For the rest of the evening, Debbie wanted to watch some television programs on her computer and I retired to the bedroom to spend time with Copper and Luna and to work on getting the room warmed up. I kind of accidentally landed on an episode of the great VHI series Classic Albums featuring Deep Purple's band members and others breaking down the making of Machine Head. I'd watched this episode before, but it had been a while and it was just as informative and exciting tonight as I remembered it being before. I especially enjoyed Jon Lord's and Roger Glover's insights into the musical depth of Deep Purple's songs. Somehow back in my days at NIC when I listened to Machine Head at home and when I heard "Smoke on the Water" on the radio, I didn't think about the musical knowledge that went into composing these songs. I just listened, drank Lucky Lager beer, and rocked out. 

No comments: