Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 12-20-2022: Snow Shoveling Day, Working in the Garage, 2 OT in Providence and the Zags Win

 1. My return to full health over the last week turned out to be a good thing today. It snowed non-stop and it was good that I felt hale and hardy and could get out and shovel snow off of our sidewalks a couple of times. I was a little bit disappointed in myself this morning that I hadn't finished shoveling when our mail carrier arrived, but she handed me our mail just as she exited her truck so she didn't have to trudge up our snow-covered sidewalk to the porch and our mailbox. I made a pledge to myself to shovel earlier in the future so that the walkways are clear when the mail carrier arrives. 

2. Normally, I don't let our cardboard boxes occupy a lot of room in our garage. When they start to pile up a bit, I load up the Sube and take the boxes to the county's transfer station. Recently, however, more boxes than usual have been arriving at our house so to make better use of space in the garage, I went out and broke down all of our boxes and created a neat, space saving pile. Once the weather settles down, I'll take them to the transfer station and I'll also take the many, many 7 Up, ginger ale, and seltzer water cans and other recyclables down to the station across from the medical center.

3. Normally, when Gonzaga plays, I enjoy writing some observations of the game, just for the fun of it. Tonight, I didn't tune into the Zags' tilt against Montana until after half time because I got mesmerized by Providence's double overtime win over Marquette. 

I watched the second half of Gonzaga's 85-75 victory. Unlike against Alabama, the Zags' effort tonight was unbalanced. Drew Timme carried the scoring load, pouring in 32 points (and causing two Griz inside players to foul out) and only two other Bulldogs scored over 10 points: Julian Strawther racked up 15 points and Malachi Smith chipped in 11. 

The last three minutes or so of the game got interesting. The Zags suddenly couldn't score and Montana's players not only got hot, they suddenly played with a surge of intensity and confidence and charged to within five points of Gonzaga. Soon the Grizzlies had to start fouling, though, and the Zags made enough of their free throws and by adding in a field goal or two held off the Montana comeback and finished with a ten point victory.

I discovered while watching these two games that while I watch, I also enjoy stuffing envelopes with All-Class Reunion forms and schedules and putting stamps and return address labels on them.  During tonight's games, I took care of all the forms and schedules I brought home and am hoping I can pick up more forms and continue working on this envelope stuffing project while simultaneously enjoying watching college basketball. 

No comments: