Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 04-30-2023: Preparing the Appetizer, Robust Family Dinner, Fascinating ZOOM Discussion

 1. I was in charge of two dishes for tonight's family dinner. Yesterday, I fixed baked beans. This afternoon, I made an appetizer, Shrimp Bathed in Olive Oil and Lemon. It was very simple. I boiled handfuls of raw shrimp for 2-3 minutes and placed each shrimp in a baking dish where I'd poured a pool of olive oil and the fresh juice of two lemons. All I had to do was make sure the pieces of shrimp were coated with oil and juice and then salt them. 

Earlier in the day, I stopped by the Beach Bum Bakery and, to compliment the shrimp, I bought two baguettes, sliced them, and put a chunk of butter in a small bowl. Rather than using butter, I enjoyed pouring some of the oil and lemon juice over my baguette slices.  

2  Family dinner tonight was quite a blowout. To start, along with the shrimp appetizer, Paul poured us each a Root Beer Rickey, a mixture of root beer, George Dickel Rye Whiskey, and lime juice. Our main course featured Christy's delicious Lemony Chicken with Potatoes and Oregano. I contributed baked beans and Carol made a splendid Scrunched Cabbage Salad with Fried Almonds. We had Pinot Gris and Pinot Noir and Christy served watermelon slices for dessert.

Not only was this a grand dinner, but it was also our first dinner outdoors in 2023. Lively conversation about all sort of topics, along with the food and drink, energized our get together this evening.

3. Bill, Diane, Bridgit, and I hopped on Zoom this afternoon for a fascinating discussion. We discussed documentary movies which somehow led us to a thoughtful discussion of death and the importance of accepting it as a fundamental reality of life. We talked about being accepting of our own mortality and how our own confrontations with different kinds of disease and infirmity have brought the reality of our mortality closer to us as we age. 

Far from depressing, this discussion, invigorated by our openness, honesty, vivid stories, and earnest search for truth was stimulating and satisfying. 

No comments: