Thursday, May 25, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 05-24-2023: Walking with Leah Sottile, Another Flatbread Success, Monk and the Guy in a Coma

 1. I returned to the Kellogg Park today and once again walked a mile. I like loops and so I enjoy walking on the trail to the intersection where I can walk up the hill to just west of the clinic, walk east on McKinley, and go down Hill Street and return to my starting point. 

I walked with Leah Sottile today. I had listened to Two Minutes Past Nine a couple months or so ago, but after reading Kathleen Belew's Bring the War Home, I listened to Sottile's exploration of the Oklahoma City bombing again, including an 11th episode she recorded after her original completion of the project. In it, she examines the January 6th, 2021 breaching of the U.S. Capitol and interviews people she'd talked to before about the Oklahoma City bombing about what happened in the white power movement, especially after election wins by Obama and Trump, that led to the mayhem of January 6th. 

2. Back home, I fixed our next HelloFresh meal, another flatbread recipe. This one involved making a simple cream cheese white sauce seasoned with Italian seasoning and garlic powder, roasting garlic and zucchini, and covering heated up flatbread with the sauce, zucchini, grape tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese. I added some sweet red pepper we had leftover. I toasted the flatbreads under the broiler until they were crisp and the cheese melted and then topped them with chili flakes and chopped chives. 

It was delicious. 

3. Can Adrian Monk figure out how a man in a coma could have mailed bombs to family members, killing his sister with one of them? That was the story line in tonight episode of Monk, an episode that also included a strong Sharona story line when, out of the blue, her ex-husband shows up for her son's birthday party after an absence of six years. 

No comments: