Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 05-29-2023: Breakfast with Lifelong Friends, Chip Dip and Cocktail Prep, Family Dinner on Christy's Deck

1. I revved up the Camry this morning and soared into Kingston, picked up Ed, and then bolted over the 4th of July Pass to Coeur d' Alene where we met with Mike S, Stu, and Lars for breakfast at the Breakfast Nook. We had a great time yakkin' about the present and dipping some into the past. It was a fun and easy going time together, spurred by Mike being in CdA to watch his granddaughter play softball.

2. Back home, I prepared my offerings for this afternoon's family dinner. I was in charge of making an appetizer and a cocktail. I wanted to make a potato chip dip for an appetizer and I got to thinking about the chip dips available in the stores. I thought of clam dip. I figured if clam dip was legit, then no doubt shrimp dip is, too. I found a recipe and all I had to do was combine cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, minced green onion, garlic powder, celery seed, and salt in a bowl and add in the chopped shrimp I'd boiled. 

The cocktail I mixed in our carafe was even easier. I made everyone an Orange Blossom by mixing equal parts of gin, sweet vermouth, and fresh squeezed orange juice. I served the drink over ice.

3. We enjoyed dinner on Christy's deck. It was a mild late afternoon and early evening, very comfortable. After eating chips and dip and drinking our cocktail, we served ourselves Christy's chicken drumsticks with BBQ sauce and the delicious corn dish she made, Debbie's pasta salad, and cubed watermelon. 

Molly's pal Brian Etherton joined us for dinner. For any readers familiar with the Silver Valley, Brian is Tim Etherton's son. We talked about all kinds of stuff, including my experiences, some welcome, another not very welcome, with nudity at the Oregon Country Fair, and reviewed the enthusiasm of uninhibited audience members at the Fair who loved hearing the band Debbie played in, Babes with Axes, and tossed undergarments to the stage.

These and other stories had us laughing a lot, our laughter barely interrupted by the cherry custard dessert Carol made that had a name something like the song from The Music Man called, "Shipoopi", but I never mastered its real name. Whatever it was called, it was delicious. 

No comments: