Thursday, May 4, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 05-03-2023: Driving Backward, Ahhh--A Tidier Garage, No Cook Pasta Sauce

 1. I am terrible at driving the Sube (or any vehicle) in reverse. I'm fine rocketing around in every forward gear, but over the years I've just never gotten the hang of doing what I see people do all the time: back into parking spots, back into the cardboard recycling area at the transfer station, or back out of a problematic situation on a road in the woods.

I'd say a majority of the small dents and scratches on the body of the Sube are a result of me making contact with something in the material world while driving in reverse. 

Well, today, I decided to back the Sube into our driveway so I could more easily put recyclables in the back of the car.

It only took me about five or six (or was it seven?) attempts to get the mirrors adjusted right and the Sube lined up with the driveway and to back smoothly in, but I did it! 

I blocked out the demons inside me that told me that neighbors were gathered at their front windows laughing at me, the way Dad used to laugh at Ellery when he tried to back into a parking spot across the street at the church.

And if neighbors were laughing at me, hey!, it was free entertainment and a good laugh is good for the soul! 

2. I got all the cans and plastic containers and newspapers properly separated and packed up and I loaded up the broken down cardboard and zipped out to the transfer station to put them all in their proper bins.

I didn't back into the area with the bin for cardboard.

Baby steps. 

My reward was the lightness I feel when the garage is less cluttered. 

It's a small thing, but I experience outsized pleasure from keeping the garage pretty neat.

3. One of my favorite cookbooks over the years, going way back at least twenty years, is No-Cook Pasta Sauces. The recipes result in delicious pasta dishes that require no (or very little) cooking of the sauce. I wanted to make something light today, so I fixed the Chickpea, Lemon, and Rosemary Sauce served with medium shells.

All I had to do was drain a can of chickpeas, put them in a bowl, and add olive oil, the juice of a fresh squeezed lemon, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. I was supposed to wait to add the rosemary and green onion, but I jumped the gun.

I place the bowl containing these ingredients on top of a pot of water while I brought it to a boil to warm these things.

When the water began boiling, I removed the bowl and cooked the medium shells.

I drained the shells and added them to the bowl, tossed it, and our meal was ready.

I ate my bowl of pasta with the addition of feta cheese and Kalamata olives and cut myself slices of bread from the whole wheat sourdough loaf I purchased today at Beach Bum Bakery.

For dessert, Debbie and I watched Monk and the courageous, quick thinking Sharona deal with a homicide made possible by a San Francisco earthquake. 


No comments: