Friday, May 19, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 05-18-2023: New Crowns, Children Go Mining, Education and Poverty

 1. As Chad & Jeremy sang in "A Summer Song" back in 1964, "They say that all good things must end someday" and that includes dental crowns.

I arrived at the dentist's office at 2:30 today and arrived home at about 6:15 after having two old crowns replaced. Because our dentist manufactures crowns on site, my time at the office included waiting for my new crowns to cook.

I'm fortunate.

The procedure was painless. 

I was happy to have this procedure finished.

It brought to an end four months of one medical/dental appointment after another since early February, all of which I've made a record of in this blog. 

No appointments now until I see the kidney doctor around July 20th.

2. Debbie and I had a long talk when I returned home, some of it about how much fun many of her students had on the mine tour at the Crystal Gold Mine just a ways east of Kellogg on what was once Highway 10. The children went underground. They learned how to pan for gold. Many of these children live in mining families. It was enlightening for them to get at least a partial understanding of what it's like to be underground and find out a bit of what mining demands of a person.

3. Discussing the school tour led to Debbie and me having another of our many conversations about education in general and about Debbie's experience teaching in the Silver Valley. I read aloud a passage from Richard Hugo's poem, "Letter to Levertov from Butte" in which Hugo writes about "the cruelty of poverty, the embittering ways/love is denied, and food, the mean near-insanity of being/and being deprived". 

In ways unique from Debbie's experience teaching in Eugene and in Greenbelt, MD, she contends daily with the cruel effects of poverty on her students and their families. 

It's wearing on everyone: the families, the children, and the teachers. 


No comments: