Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 06-10-2024: Great Lab Results, Four Weeks Down and the Future Looks Good, Picnic and Spa

1. What a morning! A great morning! At Sacred Heart! 

Debbie drove me to Spokane for 7:30 labs where, in addition to the regular blood work, I was also tested for Hepititis B, Hepititis C, and HIV, in keeping with transplant guidelines. Within an hour, the results of the regular tests appeared in the MyChart portal. 

I liked what I saw.

A lot. 

My creatinine level continues to trickle downward, a very good sign.

My potassium level is down and back in range, indicating that the dietary changes I've made and the medicine I'm taking are working. 

My magnesium level had been low and with the help of daily magnesium supplements, it's back in range. 

Then, as I expected, when I met with Dr. Khan, he found these results very encouraging and, while the lab report numbers made him happy, he was even happier when I told him that I feel great, my energy is good, and that I'm experiencing no pain or discomfort in the surgical site. 

On Thursday, I have an appointment with Dr. Deters to have the stent from my new kidney to my bladder removed and he and I will discuss the possibility of increasing my Flomax dosage as a way of reducing my nighttime visits to the bathroom. 

2. After Dr. Khan left, Nurse Jenn came in the exam room to review my orders for the next week or two and to discuss any concerns Debbie and I had. 

Debbie and I raised questions about what I can do and can't do going forward and about the advisability of Debbie traveling by air later in the month. 

I'll try to encapsulate what we learned. 

I'll begin with the most important thing that finally sunk into me today. 

Yes, at the time of my surgery, in order to help my body not reject the new organ, my immune system, through a heavy dose of medication, was greatly reduced. 

As the effects of that medicine wear off over the next three months, my body is rebuilding its immune system. 

I will take medicine for the rest of my life to keep my immunity suppressed to a degree, again, to keep my body from rejecting the new organ, but

I will have an immune system that functions -- not at full capacity and it will be slower, but it will function. 

My mind had been stuck in the reality of the approximately first four weeks, which now have passed, when, indeed, my immune system has been highly compromised and I've needed to be very cautious, to the point that I've isolated myself. 

Gradually, in the next couple of months, I'll be able to do more stuff. 

For example, we can have family dinner. It would be ideal if we gathered outside and, if indoors, ideal that I not sit too close to anyone. 

If anyone in our family is ill or if they know they've been exposed to an ill person, that person should not join a family dinner at this time. 

Jenn said I can go to the store and other not so crowded places and should try to go when things aren't too busy -- it would be best if I wore a mask. 

For now, it's best if I stay home from, say, Friday's memorial for Jack Lunger. But, by July 13th, I think I'll be able to at least make an appearance at Ed Hanson's 70th birthday party at the Elks, masked, keeping some distance, and not staying too long. 

Jenn told Debbie she should go ahead and keep her travel plans, but be mindful of how she feels when she returns home, paying attention to whether she picked up a bug on her flights. If she did, the two of us ought to keep our distance from each other and, as always, wash our hands regularly (I do this obsessively!). 

So, here's the kicker -- and it encouraged me to hear this:

The goal of the transplant team is to have me back doing the things I was doing pre-transplant, living an active and social life. It just takes some time. 

I admit it. My mind had been stuck in the realities of the first four weeks and today I began to see what things can look like beyond these four weeks. They can look pretty good. 

One more thing I learned: if I contract a cold, a flu, even Covid, am I doomed? 

No. 

Nurse Jenn explained that the transplant team is able to treat illnesses. Their success rate is very good. In addition, and I am repeating myself, as time goes on my own body's immune system will be improving and will be able to fight off bugs and infections -- it might need help, but I'm not defenseless. And, I should add, nothing has been done to compromise my white blood cells. They continue to work on my body's behalf. 

Again, my mind was stuck in the first four weeks reality. 

Now I'm not going to go out and invite illness upon myself. I'll exercise caution. I'll ask people around me, when I can, to be careful. But, it's encouraging and a relief to know that if I catch a cold or even if I get Covid, I'm not doomed.

3. After we were done in Spokane, Debbie went into Pilgrim's in CdA and built us each a salad at the salad bar and we enjoyed them at a picnic table in the Coeur d'Alene City Park. Debbie then met an appointment at the spa where she gets her hair cut and other things. I rolled the Camry's windows down about half way so the day's breezes would blow through and I waited for Debbie in the car. I read my book on cougars a little bit, but mostly I napped, a welcome refreshment after our great morning at Sacred Heart. 

No comments: