Friday, May 20, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 05/19/11: Whale Rider, Coherence, Dinner with the Deke

1.  In my World Literature course, I've spent this week trying to help my students experience the struggle some traditional cultures experience as the developments of the modern world assert themselves.  Today we watched "Whale Rider", after seeing "The Story of the Weeping Camel" on Tuesday.  "Whale Rider", like "...the Weeping Camel" really gets to me, moves me, makes tears run down my face.  I always forget how powerfully "Whale Rider" affects me and today was no exception, especially the beached whales.

2.  I think the chief challenge in teaching an essay writing course is bringing students to an understanding that essays work best when they are coherent, and we worked hard on that today.  It's a concept that's so basic, yet so difficult for many beginning writers to put into practice.  I'll keep trying to be of help.

3.  The Deke and I didn't know that our friends were not meeting at Billy Mac's, so when we showed up we were on our own and we took a booth and had a dinner out together.  When did that last happen?  Pre-9/11?  I'm not sure.  (Just kidding -- I'm pretty sure we got together once at 19th Street in the last 12-18 months ....)

No comments: