Sunday, May 1, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 05/01/11: Extra Sleep, Inward Vault of Prayers, Grading Papers

1.  I woke up this morning and I didn't have to get up.  My room was full of fresh air from the window having been open.  I'd just changed my sheets last night.  Snug was calm and sleeping.  I went back to sleep and didn't get up to feed Snug and fix a cup of coffee until 8:30.  (Then I took a nap in the afternoon.)

2.  Because of the demands on my time and energy of "The Taming of the Shrew", I hadn't been to church for a couple of weeks.  After the service, I went to the candle altar and lit a couple of candles, hoping that all the concerns I've had for friends, students, family members, and people I know about online whom I've never met, concerns I've kept stored in my inward prayer vault, got released.  I trust that though I couldn't recite every concern on the spot shortly after noon this afternoon, that all these concerns I'd stored were heard. 

3.  I was grading papers and checking Facebook periodically when I read the news that Osama bin Laden is dead.  I was playing basketball on the Sunnyside Elementary school playground when I heard from Dave Rowley that JFK had been shot.  I was getting ready to go to drivers ed. when I awoke to the news of RFK being killed.  I was picking up my mail in the U of O English department office when I heard that the Challenger blew up.  I had espn radio on my headphones when Mike Greenberg interrupted "Mike and Mike" with the news of the World Trade Centers being attacked. 

No comments: