Friday, January 30, 2009

Three Beautiful Things 01/30/09: International Workers of the World, Radio Neighborhood Tour, Au revoir Caroline

1. In Fat Cats and Underdogs we watched the 1979 documentary film, "The Wobblies" and listened to a series of men and women bear witness to the labor struggles of the early 20th century. It's a chapter of USA history that's been largely silenced.

2. I arrived home from school, parked in front of the house, and was so enthralled with a radio story on "Day to Day" about a New York City U. S. Attorney who survived a violent robbery and kidnapping that I took a slow tour of the Whitaker neighborhood until the story was over and then I parked in front of the house again and shuffled into the house.

3. The latest issue of "New Yorker" published a profile of Caroline Kennedy that casts a somewhat sympathetic light on her decision to withdraw from consideration as a candidate for Hillary Clinton's Senate seat. I found the piece enlightening. I'm saddened by her withdrawl and I understand better that such a public office may not conform well with her personality, character, or way of life.

No comments: