Friday, February 7, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 02/06/14: Snow Day Instruction, Ian McKellan in CEN 009 and Apprenticeship, Uncovering Shakespeare

1.  So, because of the snow, about half a dozen of my 10 o'clock students made it to class and were in and out of the classroom and not one of my 12 o'clock students made it -- the campus closed at 1:00.  So I got some time with these few students to give them some solid help and to shoot the breeze with B. who stuck around to let me know about writing he does on his own.  It was a nearly perfect time for me as an instructor, relaxed, giving students direction and encouragement, and being with them as they worked on their paper that is due on Tuesday.  I think some of my students are getting it:  I'm on their side.

2.  Back when I started teaching the Shakespeare night class at LCC back in the fall of 1991, I discovered, in our department video library, that we had a tape of Ian McKellan performing a one man program called "Acting Shakespeare".  I loved it.  I loved sharing it with my students.  I especially wanted any acting students who took my course to see it and to watch McKellan studiously break down and analyze MacBeth's last soliloquy so they could see all the intellectual as well physical work that he invested in playing the role.  Several months ago, I bought the DVD of "Acting Shakespeare" and today I watched parts of McKellan's show and not only loved his generous performance and how funny he is in much of it, but I loved going back in time to the basement of the Center building and then the Apprenticeship building and all those years, over ten of them, of teaching Shakespeare on Wednesday nights.

3.  The plays of William Shakespeare, reading them, studying them, teaching them, and being asked to act in a handful of them has had a indescribably profound impact on my life.  I sometimes go for months without Shakespeare just to let his works sink into me more.  Late this afternoon and on into the night, after my time with Ian McKellan, I watched five episodes of the PBS series "Uncovering Shakespeare".  Ethan Hawke (Macbeth), Joley Richardson (Twelfth Night, As You Like It), Derek Jacobi (Richard II), Jeremy Irons (Henry IV, Henry V), and David Tennant (Hamlet) each guided an hour long excursion into the background, performance, and possible interpretations of the play s/he focused on, bringing each play exhiliratingly alive with interviews of scholars, interviews with actors and directors, line readings, by visiting rehearsals, and by articulating their own thoughts and questions about the plays. I have one more episode to go.  Trevor Nunn will take charge of The Tempest

No comments: