Thursday, February 13, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 02/12/14: Waiting for Car Repair, Doubleness in the Home, Some More Snapshot Ale

1.  Reading Steven Greenblatt's biography of Shakespeare made the over two hour wait for some work to be done on the Subaru go by fast.  His chapter on the violence practiced by Protestants upon Catholics and Catholics upon Protestants during the Reformation in England was sickening and no different from religious sectarian violence in the 20th and 21st centuries, no matter who is responsible, Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc.  Just the weapons and some of the torture and maiming practices are different.

2.  For years, I did my best to help my Shakespeare students see that Shakespeare was obsessed with doubleness.  By doubleness, I meant opposite things being simultaneously true.  Greenblatt points out that Shakespeare's father was probably living a double life as a Protestant and a Catholic (I've read this sort of thing before) and that William Shakespeare's imagination and ways of seeing the world were enlivened by this doubleness in his home.

3.  The Deke had a beer with a friend at the Bier Stein and I picked her up and we had a sandwich from Bill and Tim's and a beer at Sixteen Tons where it is much quieter than at the Bier Stein and where we could talk much more easily.  I enjoyed another pint and a half of New Belgium's Snapshot Wheat Ale.  I'll be disappointed when this keg runs dry at Sixteen Tons.  It's a nearly perfect beer for my taste. 

No comments: