Saturday, June 4, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 06/03/16: Mortars and Pestles Multiply!, Everything is On the Table, Camping and Pizza

1. During Teacher Appreciation Week, three parents gave the Deke gift cards from Target and today I redeemed those cards by purchasing a 12" cast iron skillet, a micro grater, a mortar and pestle, and a pack of washcloths. Soon after I arrived home, a package came from Amazon and inside was a thank you gift for me and the Deke -- another (and much nicer) mortar and pestle. I have never owned a mortar and pestle in my life and now I have two! I am rich in mortars and pestles! I can hardly wait to start roasting and crushing cumin, coriander, mustard and other seeds and learning more about unlocking the tasty secrets of crushed basil, sage, thyme, cilantro, and other leafy herbs.

2. The Deke and I ducked out of a torrential downpour into Quench and, while enjoying a stunning 2IPA from Wyerbacher Brewing Company called, simply, #2, we resurrected a conversation we haven't had to have for a while: what might we do with our lives in the next few years? Changes are inevitable in that the Deke will leave her job one day.  So, we started putting possibilities out before ourselves and we are back to where we were in 2013-14: everything we might imagine for ourselves is on the table and our discussion is earnestly underway.

3. We went over to Molly's. Olivia and David were in a camping tent in the t.v. room watching cartoons. I don't ever remember Christy, Carol, and I pitching a tent in the living room at 516 and watching cartoons. I regret that. I'm sure Mom doesn't! It sure looked like fun. Molly baked three awesome pizza pies and invited the Deke and me to scarf a few slices and we did, with much admiration and appreciation.

No comments: