Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 06/13/16: Socializing While Exercising, *Knuckleball*, *KidPoker*

1. I arrived about ten minutes early for today's senior water aerobics class and did some exercising on my own until the instructor started calling out instructions for the exercises we all did together. We had a sub today and I couldn't always hear her, mainly because, and I get a kick out of this, about half the members of class socialize while they exercise and talk right through and right over the leader's instructions. So, often I figured out what she said by watching what she did or I just improvised and did my own exercises. Why do I get a kick out of my classmates? I enjoy how the pool seems to not only rejuvenate my classmates, but seems to infuse them with youthful energy -- as if I'm in the pool with incorrigibly excited middle schoolers who just don't obey that most fundamental principle of courtesy: don't talk while the teacher is talking. It's all good.

2. I am really slow. Back in March of 2015, Russell dropped me a message telling me I might enjoy the documentary Knuckleball streaming on Netflix. Well, here it is, fifteen months later and finally I watched this movie this evening.  Russell was right. I enjoyed Knuckleball thoroughly. The movie was released in 2012 and focused on the careers of Major League Baseball's two remaining knuckleball pitchers, Time Wakefield (now retired) and R. A. Dickey. I was especially happy with the passages featuring past knuckleball pitchers Jim Bouton, Phil Niekro, Charlie Hough, Wilbur Wood, and Tom Candiotti. It was fun having so many of my baseball memories surface and to learn more about these practitioners of the rare art of throwing a knuckler. Hmmm....unless I'm mistaken, when R. A. Dickey hangs up his spikes, no knuckleball pitchers will be left in the major leagues.

Wait! I was just informed by Randy Trox that the Red Sox' roster includes knuckle ball pitcher Stephen Wright . . . great news!

3. Before watching Knuckleball, I had been browsing at Netflix and noted that a documentary looking at the life and career of poker player Daniel Negreanu entitled KidPoker was available and I watched it. The movie was bound to be interesting because Negreanu is really bright, charismatic, and outspoken. More interesting to me, however, than his back story and what he learned and how he lives because of a personal transformation seminar he attended, would have been interviews about his poker strategy and a look back at why he played certain key hands in different tournaments the way he did.

No comments: