Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 06/20/16: Back in the Pool, Mom's Visit to the Heart Center, Drunken Noodles (I Guess)

1. Last week, I was concerned about the Deke being at work with the pinched nerve in her back and stayed close to home in case her back seized up and she needed me to take her home. Consequently, I didn't go to the swimming pool for any of my improvised workouts. Today, however, the class I take met and it was refreshing to be in the water and jog, cross country ski, kick, and stretch. I also got to flex my so-called muscles.

2. Christy emailed me a report of Mom's morning visit to the P. A. (Physician Assistant) today in Coeur d'Alene. He is happy with Mom's progress with losing water weight and changed some of her medicines and was pleased with her oxygen levels after her seven minute walk. Mom will hook up to the oxygen at night -- it helps her sleep better -- but will not be hooked up during the day. The P. A. set a target weight for Mom. Now she and Christy have more precise numbers to work with to assess her success when she weighs herself  every day. The P.A. would also like to see Mom walk more so she and Christy are working out where she can go to get some steps in. Overall, this was a good visit to the Heart Center and a positive report. She returns for another check up on July 6th and I'll get to pile in the car with Mom and Christy and go to the appointment, too.

3. I had fun late this afternoon boiling and then frying wide rice noodles and combining the noodles with stir fried onion, broccoli, zucchini, cabbage, and mushrooms and making a stir fry sauce that combined the sweet with the salty and the vinegary with crushed red pepper heat. We topped this meal with fresh basil and cilantro and peanuts.  I guess this dish is a version of drunken noodles, but, whatever it is, the Deke and I loved it. I was really happy to be cooking again after an absence of several days.

No comments: