Saturday, June 25, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 06/24/16: Tastee Diner Seminar, Reassembling, A Taste of Honey

1. After I shoehorned myself into the Sube and sailed up to the clinic for a TB skin test so that I don't get kicked off the kidney transplant list, I went to the Tastee Diner in downtown Laurel and sat at the counter and enjoyed a breakfast of bacon, eggs, homefries, English muffin, and chipped beef -- a gravy I used to cover my home fries. From time to time, as I drank my coffee and put my bacon on my English muffin and mixed up some egg yolk in my potatoes,  I couldn't help but listen to fragments of the speechifying of a pontificating mansplainer in a Ben Hogan cap, a retired guy, a little older than I am, in a booth several feet away, clarify for his breakfast mate, who rarely spoke and always needed correcting when he did, the meaning of the UK's exit from the European Union and how liberals in this country have destroyed the family and ushered in the failure of public schools in the USA. I kind of envied his certainty. I wondered what it must be like to know you know you know what's absolutely true, to be unsaddled with and unbothered by even the slightest nagging voice of doubt in your head.

2. It wasn't far from the Tastee Diner to Weis Market and since I was fresh out of cans of Polar seltzer water, I stopped in and purchased four 12 packs and as the day wore on was glad I did. The day before I'd had to prepare our apartment home for pest control and had to empty all of our kitchen and bathroom cabinets and having some lime seltzer water made the job of putting these rooms back together again much more pleasant.

3. The best part of the Greek pasta salad I made tonight was the vinaigrette. I combined olive oil, red wine vinegar, pressed garlic, oregano, Greek seasoning, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and honey together in a jar and shook it up and poured it over the pasta, red onion, cucumber, Kalamata olives, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, and fresh basil and the interplay between vinegar, lemon, olive brine, and honey worked perfectly for me.

No comments: