Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 06/21/16: Pre-Transplant Readiness, Writing About Watery Love, Celebrating with Rosé

1. Word came back to me today from Towanda Jackson, my pre-kidney transplant nurse coordinator, that all I need to be up to date with tests is a chest X-ray and TB test. I learned today that I need to have these two things done annually. I'll have cardiac testing, a colonoscopy, and re-evaluation with the transplant team done again in 2018.  It's a relief to know that by submitting a blood sample each month, keeping in touch with Towanda, and seeing my nephrologist regularly that I am doing what I need to do to stay on the transplant list.

2. I spent quite a bit of time today composing my latest Sibling Assignment. I wrote about my love for Delta Ponds in north Eugene and how this wetland area and its abundance of all kinds of life affected and continues to affect how I take pictures and what I hope happens when I snap off any picture, anywhere, really.  If you'd like to read what I wrote and see four pictures from Delta Ponds, click right here.

3. Today was the Deke's last day of work for the 2015-16 school year and we celebrated by going up to Old Line Bistro and surprised ourselves after a beer by each having a glass of French Rosé wine and buying a bottle to take home and enjoy. The wine transported us back to one of our most enjoyable nights in Eugene on June 14, 2014 when Thomas organized a Pinot/Rosé wine festival on the patio of the 16 Tons Cafe.  The Deke's celebration tonight was hard-earned.   The Deke endured many difficulties this school year and is very proud of the work she did to forge alliances with some testy parents, win the trust of many of her students and make learning fun for some of them, and continue to try within a regimented system to teach in an interdisciplinary way and touch the students' inner selves, not just work to raise their test scores.

No comments: