Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 01-11-2022: Umping in 1988, Oakshire with Walker and Ingrid, SAVE THE STOUT at 16 Tons

 1. We needed a couple of things from the store and I went up to Safeway on 40th at the Edgewood Shopping Center. 

Back in the summer of 1988, I made a little extra money and found another way to avoid writing by working for Eugene Sports Program (now Kidsports) as a baseball umpire for games played by boys and girls of all ages. Spencer Butte Middle School sits close to Safeway and I enjoy driving by there and remembering the first game I ever umpired. Nothing traumatic happened. I don't remember messing anything up. Mostly I remember the coach for the Spencer Butte boys being a Kansas State alum, wearing a purple KSU shirt or sweatshirt or windbreaker, and that he called out encouragement to his players all through the game. It seemed like every player's name started with a "J". 

Come on, Jerod!

Atta boy, Jason!

Good hustle, Josh!

Okay, Jordan, swing nice and level!

Good peg, Jace!

So, today, as I drove by the ball field, I heard echoes of all those "J" kids being urged to make plays and being supported when they did it well.

2.  Late in the afternoon, Debbie and  met up with Walker and Ingrid at Oakshire and sat out in the covered patio area and enjoyed some beers and ordered some hummus and pita bread, salmon spread and corn chips, and poutine from food trucks on site. I started with a shorty glass of Oakshire's winter ale, The Ill-Tempered Gnome, a hoppy brown ale, and decided it was too bitter for my palate today. So, I switched to Oakshire's maltier and lighter Amber Ale and it was perfect, both for what I was in the mood for and to drink with our food.

The four of us had fun and fascinating conversation about travel, medical stuff, retirement, family goings on, and other things. 

Debbie and I are loving these different get togethers with Eugene friends. The beer is great, too!

3. Speaking of beer, we left Oakshire and 16 Tons was still open, so we stopped in for one short pour. I had never tried GoodLife Brewing's Mocha Caramel Stout. It's a coffee stout that nicely balances the coffee taste with the mocha and a hint of caramel. Our short session at 16 Tons was a nice way to wind down. We enjoyed our beers quietly. I took in bits and pieces of other conversations going on nearby. We left contented. I was ready to head back to Anne's and enjoy a good night's sleep. 


No comments: