Thursday, January 13, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 01-12-2022: Contact with Rita and Dan, Sweet As! With the Troxstar, Toshi's Divine Ramen

1. I made telephone contact today with Rita and Dan. Rita and I have arranged to meet Friday morning in Creswell. Now that Dan and I have each other's phone numbers, we can resume communication with each other over the phone. I understand, with the pandemic, why we can't get together now. I hope that the day will come when we can meet in person for conversation and maybe some Thai food again!

2. If I still lived between 10th and Broadway on Madison Street in Eugene, I'd be a regular at Scribles, the former location of AAA when I first moved to Eugene, of Cornucopia back until they moved to 17th and Lincoln, of Monroe Street Cafe, and of Whirled Pies until they moved downtown. I met the Troxstar at Scribles today and we yakked over beers. I drank GoodLife's Sweet As! Pacific Ale -- I thought of it as a Pale Ale -- but whatever it is, it's one of the best beers I've ever drunk. It's superbly balanced, kind of creamy, a tiny tiny bit sweet, and has just the right amount of soft bitterness. If it's not really a pale ale, I don't really care. I'm going to think of it alongside Hammerhead and Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale as among my favorite golden to bronze appearing ales that are not IPAs!

3. On the way home, I stopped at Toshi's Ramen. I kept things kind of simple ordering for Debbie and me by getting us each the same things: a bowl of Miso broth, Wakame ramen with a side order of Gyozas (I should have ordered twelve instead of six Gyozas). I brought the ramen back to Anne's and I was one very happy diner! I love miso and the combination of it with seaweed, pork, green onions, green beans,  bamboo shoots and the ramen noodles was divine.  I have been longing for a meal like this ever since I started watching Midnight Diner on Netflix and tonight my longing was both satisfied and increased! 

No comments: