Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 01-25-2022: *The Cold Millions*, Stuffed Peppers, Wild Night in Men's College Basketball

 1. I enjoy reading many different kinds of books and, when I read a particular genre, I often wonder why I don't read more books of this kind. I read more of The Cold Millions today. I wondered why I haven't read more historical fiction in my lifetime, couldn't really answer that question, set my question aside, and enjoyed reading this story of labor conflict and activism, police brutality, and business corruption in Spokane in the very early years of the 20th century. 

2. Debbie fixed meatless stuffed red and yellow peppers today. I loved the wheat berries and feta cheese in the stuffing and thought her idea to top the stuffed peppers with mashed red potatoes was ingenious. Debbie has always made the best cabbage salad dressed with vinegar and oil and she made another one today. I loved this meal.

3. This evening I wasn't expecting the following in men's college basketball: I didn't think injury-depleted Illinois would defeat Michigan State, but they did. I didn't think Missouri would take Auburn down to the wire before losing by a point, but they did. I didn't think Mississippi State would take Kentucky into overtime before losing a close game, but they did. I didn't think Clemson would make Duke sweat before losing a close tilt, but they did. I didn't think the Ducks would lose to Colorado at home, but they did. 

I really didn't think Arizona would have an epically cold shooting night against UCLA, nor did I think UCLA would crush the Wildcats, 75-59.  But they did.  This was the game that I thought would be a nail biter, but UCLA locked down and discombobulated Arizona with rugged defense and enjoyed a night of balanced scoring and excellent overall play. I hadn't seen UCLA play since Coby Riley returned from injury and I thought his presence back in the staring lineup solidified the UCLA effort.

When UCLA got creamed by Gonzaga back in November, Riley was on the shelf and several Bruins were weakened by a flu.

I'd love to see a UCLA/Gonzaga rematch with the Bruins at full strength and with Gonzaga having grown and improved over the last two months. 

Who knows? Maybe they'll meet in the NCAA Tournament in March/April and have another epic battle like they did in the 2021 tournament! 

No comments: