Sunday, January 2, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 01-01-2022: Recovering in the Vizio Room, Mutual Contentment with Luna and Copper, New Year's Day Family Dinner

 1. This morning, I was wiped out from New Year's Eve. I wasn't hungover. I was just tired. More than anything, I needed some time to myself, time not to talk to anyone. I needed to recharge. Luckily, this was easy to accomplish this morning. Everyone else slept in. So, before Debbie, Meagan, or Patrick came downstairs, I secluded myself in the Vizio room and watched Creighton defeat Marquette in a double overtime thriller, 75-69,  and the Villanova Wildcats defeat the Covid-depleted and feisty Seton Hall Pirates, 73-67.  From time to time, I snoozed during these games, not because of the action, but because I was worn out. I enjoyed the basketball completely. I love watching action in the Big East Conference and look forward to watching as many Big East Conference games as possible over the next two months or so.

2. After watching basketball, I wasn't quite ready to be social with the family and I retired to the bedroom. I lay down on the bed on my back, blissfully aware of what was coming next. First, Luna leapt up and got herself comfortable on my upper chest and curled herself close to my neck. At the same time, Copper positioned himself close enough to me that I could easily reach out and rest my left hand on his back. Both cats purred. I fell into a most restorative sleep. Together, Luna, Copper, and I were the perfect picture of mutuality and contentment.  Being this connected to each other relaxed us. It gave us peace. 

3. Rested, I took control of the Sube and drove Debbie, Patrick, and Meagan over to the Roberts' house for our family New Year's Day dinner. Over the years, we've reserved a day on or close to New Year's Day for a prime rib dinner together. This year, Yoke's was sold out of prime rib, so Carol prepared a handsome New York Strip Roast (did I get that right?) instead. We began with the cocktail Debbie has concocted over the last ten days or so, a mixture of Rye Whiskey, her homemade Cranberry Liqueur, orange juice, and a splash of club soda or, today, tonic water. 

Along with the cocktail, we enjoyed shrimp and cocktail sauce and yakked in the living room until called to dinner.

In support of the beef roast and au jus, Paul made a couple of horseradish options, Carol fixed Yorkshire pudding, Christy prepared a potato recipe in muffin cups and assembled a relish tray, and Debbie made a vegetable side dish. Christy provided superb wine that she brought home from her Thanksgiving weekend trip to Walla Walla. 

We loved our dinner and were really happy to have Patrick and Meagan with us. 

We retired back to the living room after dinner for Brandy Snap cookies and I mixed Brandy Alexanders.

After some robust after dinner conversation, Debbie, Patrick, Meagan, and I returned home. We had talked some at Carol and Paul's about The Beatles, so back home we put on music from The Beatles. Meagan returned to the jigsaw puzzle she and Debbie have going. Patrick continued to keep up with updates and online conversation about the James Webb Space Telescope. We talked a bit about caffeine! I enjoyed sipping on my favorite cold weather warm-me-up, rum and brandy mixed in hot water. We switched from The Beatles to Dark Side of the Moon, but I didn't make it to the end of the album.

I retired to the bedroom where I joined Luna and Copper for a restful night's sleep. 

No comments: