Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 04-11-2022: Back to *Thunder Rolling Revue*, Back to the Frisco Burger, Back to La Fin du Monde

 1. I spent time indoors this afternoon rewatching the movie Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story. I came away from this viewing thinking that Bob Dylan sums up the heart of this movie when he says, in so many words, that we don't spend our lives searching for ourselves, we live life creating ourselves. I'm not sure what aspects of himself Bob Dylan was creating when he gathered a troupe of singers and musicians and went on the road playing small venues and performed under the name Rolling Thunder Revue. But, I do know that parts of this, by all appearances, documentary film had fictional passages, with created characters (like Michael Murphy's  Jack Tanner from the HBO movie Tanner, '88) talking about their experiences witnessing or being a part of the Rolling Thunder Revue, as if the truths about this enterprise could be explored effectively by actual persons and passages of fiction, too. 

2. I wasn't able to visit Rita in person this trip. She became ill around the time we were going to meet. Rita had bought Debbie, Christy, Carol, and me a gift for our family dinners and asked me to drive to her house and pick it up off her porch. I did that this afternoon after dropping Debbie off at Agate Alley and, upon my return to Eugene from Creswell, I dropped in at the Paddock and enjoyed ordering their Frisco burger again and washed it down with a couple glasses of Pepsi.

3. From The Paddock, I made my way to The Beergarden, a tap house with a ton of picnic tables under a huge tent and featuring a several food truck, to have a couple of beers with the Troxstar. I ordered a half pint of Alesmith's Nut Brown Ale, a very good beer to drink after my dinner and then the Troxstar treated both of us to an old favorite, a bottle each of Unibroue's La Fin du Monde, a clove-y, fruity Belgian Strong  Triple Blonde. It's possible, but I'm not sure I accurately remember, that it was La Fin du Monde that inspired the Troxstar, Shane, Loren, and I (were there others on hand?) to indulge in an occasional Belgian Blow Out at the Bier Stein several years ago. 

No comments: