Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 04-26-2022: Retirement and the 50 Year Reunion, Copper and Luna See the Doc, Camry Gets Serviced

1. When I retired, I decided that as much as possible, I didn't want to be on any councils, committees, task forces, or boards. I'd had enough of meetings and spending time in what often seemed endless deliberations over the course of my thirty-five years in the world of colleges and one university. 

I liked, however, the idea of finding ways I could do behind the scenes work, to help out an organization or some effort from home, or, at least, without going to meetings. 

So, as it turns out, my volunteer work for the KHS Class of '72 50 Year Reunion fulfills my desire to be of service perfectly.

For starters, our reunion committee meets only occasionally (I can handle that!) and we have fun at our meetings -- so much fun, it's a near miracle we get our work done, but we do, and it's all friendly with a lot of laughs.

I'm helping out by running down as much contact information as possible and emailing and mailing out the registration forms. Today I addressed envelopes. Soon I'll put the forms in them and run them up to the post office. 

Soon I'll send out a mass email with forms attached.

Soon I'll put the registration form on our Class Reunion Facebook page.

It's all perfect. 

I'm pitching in.

I'm doing it from home, for the most part. 

This project has had me in touch with numerous classmates. 

I'm not doing this work at the last minute, so I don't feel the pressure of time.

It's just the sort of project I want to work on in my retirement. 

2. First thing this morning, I delivered Luna and Copper to the vet. Luna's kidney numbers are out of range, so she was in for follow up bloodwork. I took Copper in for a dental cleaning and pre-cleaning bloodwork. 

Not much has changed in Luna's kidney numbers. I'll take her in in six months for another renal panel. Her glucose numbers, however, had come up a bit, not enough to restart an insulin regimen, but enough that I'll take her back to the vet in about three weeks for another glucose check, just to make sure she's all right. This makes sense because she's now eating kidney diet food. It's lower in protein with more calories and can alter the glucose count. It's a delicate balance.

Copper is in fine shape. He's lost a pound since also starting on the kidney diet, but Dr. Cook didn't think I'm underfeeding him and that he could afford to lose a pound. Once he woke up after having his teeth cleaned, he did great back home.

3. While Copper and Luna visited the vet, I buzzed the Camry over to Coeur d'Alene for an early 10,000 mile oil change and inspection. The Camry checked out fine, it has new blood, and it's ready for a couple or three upcoming trips. I decided to have the car serviced before these trips rather than after, making life easier for both Debbie and me. 

No comments: