Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 02-07-2023: The Original Blogger, Spaghetti Dinner, Columbo the Magician

1. I got in a solid stroll this afternoon. I headed over by the old S & R, then walked west on Cameron to the 4 way stop, and trudged up to the Shoshone Medical Center. I checked to make sure I knew where the Outpatient Services door is located. It's the door I'll enter next week to check in for my colonoscopy. I sauntered over to the steps that lead up to The Trail and tiptoed down The Trail on the hard pack ice and snow down to Riverside and ambled back home. I won't be returning to The Trail until it thaws.

I enjoy Slate's podcasts called One Year. Each season devotes a series of episodes to different things that happened during the chosen year of that season. I listened to the last episode focused on 1995 as I walked. It featured the story of Carolyn Burke who decided in 1995 to post her daily diary entries online. Eventually, her diary became widely read and discussed and out of her bold move the online weblog or, as we know it, the blog emerged. 

I've been posting on kelloggbloggin since October 1, 2006. It was fun to listen to the original blogger herself talk about why she started her diary, why she gave it up, and how she's been living her life in the 21st century. 

2. I cooked too much spaghetti for our Monday night family dinner, so this afternoon I combined tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, some tomato paste, leftover chopped onions from Monday night, oregano, basil, fennel seeds, salt, pepper, and garlic paste in a pot and slow cooked it until the onions were tender.

Debbie and I fixed ourselves a bowl of pasta and sauce for dinner and settled in for this evening's wind down.

3. We started the wind down with the first episode of the fifth season of the podcast, Slow Burn. Season 5 is entitled, The Road to the Iraq War. It sets out to explain what propelled the USA to invade Iraq and go to war. 

Debbie realized after about twenty minutes that she was too mentally fatigued to listen to this podcast.

Therefore, we put on an episode of Columbo.

It was awesome. Jack Cassidy played an illusionist, The Great Santini, who is also a murderer. 

Columbo teaches The Great Santini that a shrewd detective can, like a magician, create illusions and use them, not to entertain an audience, but to prove that the great illusionist is guilty of homicide. 

No comments: