Saturday, February 18, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 02-17-2023: Piling Up Steps, Seeing Longtime Friends at Yoke's, Crab Feed at Carol and Paul's House

 1. I shoehorned myself into the Sube and hightailed it over to where there are parking spaces across the street from The Beanery. I squeezed myself out of the car and walked on the Trail of CdAs to the resort parking lot, made my way to Noah's, stopped in for a bathroom break, and then walked through the parking area for the condos to Emerald St. and strolled to Yoke's. I couldn't see my Fitbit numbers very well outside, so I went into Yoke's and took a seat near the prescription pickup window, read how many steps I'd taken, and rested a bit. I gathered up a head of steam and strode out of the store, walked south on Hill Street, and before long I was back to the Sube. Combined with steps I accrued around the house over the course of the day, I piled up just over 4000 steps today. I'm increasing my daily step count day to day and already feel a bit stronger and have more stamina.

2. In Yoke's, I had two pleasant conversations with people I've known since I was a very little kid. First, Wendy Hei and I enjoyed catching up and then Rick Chapman and I had a good visit. We've all reached that point in life where the one topic we can be sure will keep conversation going is medical updates and reports on visits to the doctor and being tested, scanned, and evaluated. All three of us had tales to tell about kidneys, heart problems, asthma, Covid, pneumonia, and other medical challenges. The good news is that we are all upright and chugging along. 

3. Molly, Christy, Debbie, Paul, Carol, and I decided a couple of weeks ago that we'd like to dine at the Roberts' house and have a family crab feed rather than join the crab feed at the Elks. 

I had purchased dine out tickets a week ago. This afternoon, I drove up to the alley between the Elks and the YMCA building and exchanged my tickets for eight fresh crabs. 

I dropped the crabs off with Carol and about 90 minutes later returned with Debbie to the Roberts' house and our crab feed family dinner got going.

We started with Red Snappers, a cocktail combining Bloody Mary mix with gin. Christy made the mix herself from scratch and it was superb. We each combined ice, gin, and the mix in a red Solo cup and then selected from a range of garnishes: green olives, black olives, celery stalk, asparagus spears, cocktail onions, Tabasco sauce, lemon wedges, lime wedges, and possibly more (did I forget something?).

After some conversation in the living room, we all staggered to the dining table where Carol had put the crabs in a bowl, put out other bowls where we disposed of our shells, and laid out our crab crackers and picks.

To compliment the crab, Debbie made a superb cabbage/carrot slaw/salad and I fixed a batch of crock pot baked black beans. Molly's contribution, sourdough bread from the organic bakery trailer, Beach Bum Bakery, rounded out our meal. 

I gotta say, we planned this meal masterfully. The cocktail, salad, crab, beans, and bread worked together perfectly and, as a bonus, the Pinot Gris Carol and Paul contributed also worked sublimely for me.

But there's more!

Christy made lemon curd tarts in tiny filo cups and I don't think I've ever before seen family members so eagerly dive into a dessert and repeat so often how good it was as I witnessed tonight. 

What a night! 

Conversation ranged from talking about the behavior of children in classrooms to men and women in the movies to the fine points of interior design and how to deal with material things in our households that we need to clear out. It was a night of robust conversation along with a fantastic meal. 


No comments: