Sunday, February 19, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 02-18-2023: Versatile Beans, Merriment in Uptown Kellogg, Watching *Bonnie and Clyde*

 1. Those crock pot baked black beans I made for our family crab feed Friday tasted awesome this morning as a final layer atop a combination of bacon, fried potatoes, scrambled egg, and sharp cheddar cheese. 

2. Debbie and I blasted uptown around 6:30. I wanted to have a beer with Ed, Nancy, and Stu, so I waltzed over to the Elks Crab Feed and Debbie dropped in at The Lounge. Once Harley called the Crab Feed to order and the line formed for crab feeders to be served dinner, I slipped out the front and joined Debbie at The Lounge. 

We had an awesome time. For a while, things were quiet enough that Cas and Tracy had time to yak with us. We ordered appetizers from Wah Hing and upon finishing them, people started filing in from the Elks, having had their fill of crab. We yakked with Keri A. for a while. I popped off my bar stool and joined Ed, Nancy, and Stu for some yakkin' and laughin' and Debbie continued to talk with Keri and Anita W. joined them. 

It was a merry evening at The Lounge, lots of good cheer and good company.

3. As we were yakkin' with Cas, the movie Bonnie and Clyde came up and Debbie and I returned home and rented it.

I can't quite nail down why, as I watched Bonnie and Clyde, I kept thinking it was a work of genius.

Maybe it was how the movie blended slapstick buffoonery, sexual frustration, guns, crime, violence, cruelty, Kodak moments, the soundtrack's return again and again to Flatt and Scruggs, scenes of Great Depression poverty, revenge, the way the whole movie was centered around the automobile, and the way Bonnie and Clyde become national celebrities that made me think this was as intense a study of America as I've ever watched in a movie. 

For now, that's all I've got. 


No comments: