Thursday, February 23, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 02-22-2023: Uptown with Muffin and Latte, My Low Key Hedonism, Rockford and Richard Belzer

1. After a stock up trip to Yoke's, I dropped by the Beach Bum Bakery's little trailer on the south side of Furniture Exchange hoping to buy some bagels. They were sold out. No problem. I bought what's called a Sunshine Muffin and an oval loaf of Artisan Sourdough Bread. 

The Beanery is near Beach Bum Bakery and I blasted over there and bought a 16 oz double latte and asked for it to be a little extra hot. I do this so the drink will still be kind of hot as I finish it. 

I drove uptown, made sure not much was going on -- and it wasn't -- and ate pieces of the muffin and drank about three quarter of my latte and returned home. 

The muffin/latte treat raised my already happy spirits.

2. I put away the groceries and sliced off the crusty end of the sourdough bread and put a generous slab of butter on it. 

Delicious.  Not only did it taste splendid, I loved the sensation in my mouth its thick texture gave me, both the bread and the crust. 

Because the bread is organic -- I'd call it, to use a beer term, craft bread -- it's a bit costly.  I didn't care. I was after pleasure and am always happy to pay a bit more for Beach Bum's baked goods. 

By the way, in my beer tasting/drinking hey day, I felt the same way about beer. Why not pay a few extra bucks for pleasure? It's fun and good for my soul to be an occasional hedonist! It's not like I'm not keeping our bills paid when I indulge!)

3. Debbie and I have switched gears as we relax together in the evenings. Lately, in her need for relaxing television programming in the evening, Debbie has found that The Rockford Files is just right -- the suspense of the dangerous situations Jim Rockford entangles himself in is balanced by the program's humor and by James Garners' impeccable delivery of his witty lines and by Rockford's unending faithfulness to Angel Martin and his affection for Rocky, his dad. 

After a couple episodes tonight and after Debbie hit the hay, I opened the bedroom door so that Copper and Luna could enjoy the living room and chow down on some wet food in the kitchen.

I also watched much of a ninety minute video on YouTube featuring the great Richard Belzer's appearances on David Letterman's two shows. Belzer first appeared in 1982 and his last appearance, at least on this video, was in 2008. 

Every time Belzer was on Letterman, upon being introduced, the band struck up The Rolling Stones' "Start Me Up" and Belzer entered strutting and dancing like Mick Jagger. 

Belzer's appearances were awesome. Letterman loved having Richard Belzer on the show, the two were funny together, and Letterman made sure, always, to highlight that Richard Belzer was multi-talented, that he was not only an accomplished stand-up comic, but was a gifted actor, especially in his role as John Munch on both Homicide: Life on the Street and Law and Order: Special Victims Unit

I don't know who made this Belzer/Letterman video, but I enjoyed it every bit as much as the series of similar videos I watched featuring Norm Macdonald's many appearances on Letterman's shows. 

No comments: