Thursday, March 16, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 03-15-2023: Haircut and Lots of Listening, Costco and Bob Dylan, Silky Penne for Dinner

Today's entry marks my 6000th post here at kelloggbloggin, a writing effort I began in October, 2006. 


1. The weather has warmed up. The freeway between Kellogg and Coeur d'Alene and Spokane is free of snow and ice (but not yet free of potholes!). 

For the second straight day, I took advantage of these favorable conditions and drove to CdA.

First, I returned to Great Clips (because it's close to Costco) and once again Britney cut my hair and told me about her evil twin Stephanie, explained how her parents decided not to name her Stephanie, told me why her father and grandfather, both employees of the Highway Department, were superheroes, informed me that elementary aged kids these days cuss a lot, bemoaned that couldn't find the cheese she wanted at Costco, and declared me a superhero because I had been a teacher for many years. 

I left Great Clips full of information! 

2. I stocked up on several staple food and paper products at Costco.

As I always do, I had a great time sauntering up and down the aisles, exchanging friendly looks and smiles with people, and checking out different areas of the store I enjoy poking around in. 

After shopping, I stopped in at Starbucks for a grande double latte and to use their wi-fi to download Bob Dylan's book, The Philosophy of Modern Song on to my phone. 

I listened to this book in its entirety back in November and returning to it today was scintillating, exhilarating, and, at times, troubling. 

Bob Dylan's mind at work in these essays is a wonder. He is, by turns, profoundly knowledgeable and insightful about 20th century music and hilariously irreverent at times, especially when he makes stuff up and acts like it's true. His searing honesty is sometimes inspiring, sometimes unsettling. I don't always know when Dylan is pulling my leg, but when he gets fired up, like when he writes about John Trudell, his prose burns with genuine emotion and outrage.

Listening to the early chapters of Dylan's book for a second time was especially satisfying, even as I know that that I will be tossed back and forth between admiration for his writing and unsettled, knocked off kilter, by some of the crazy things he writes. 

3. Back home, I got out one of the HelloFresh bags. I sliced mushrooms and a zucchini, halved grape tomatoes, quartered a lemon, chopped chives, put on a pot of water to boil, and got to work making Silky Penne with a tomato, zucchini, mushroom sauce.

It was a simple recipe. I cooked the zucchini, put it in a bowl, and then cooked the mushrooms and put them in the same bowl, By now, the water had come to a boil, and I dropped the penne in it to cook.

In the pan I'd cooked the zucchini and mushrooms, I now poured some olive oil and melted some butter and cooked the grape tomatoes with Italian seasoning sprinkled on them. Once they were cooked, I added pasta water, mushroom stock concentrate, chives, lemon juice, and creme fraiche to the pan and made a sauce.

Once I drained the penne and returned the pasta to the pot, I dumped the sauce over it and with the addition of some Parmesan cheese and a squeeze or two more of lemon juice, our dinner was ready and it was mighty delicious. 


No comments: