Friday, March 31, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 03-30-2023: Testing My Toe, Looking Over Photographs, HelloFresh Pasta Dinner with *Columbo* for Dessert

1. Having our snow tires swapped for the regular tires just down the street at Silver Valley Tires requires that I take the Sube to the shop with eight tires in the back, walk back home for the other car, drop it off, and walk back home again. I lucked out today, though, because Ed was also having tires swapped and after I dropped off the Sube, he gave me a lift back home just before his car went on the rack.  I walked home, though, after dropping off the Camry. 

When the cars were done, I walked down, picked up the Camry, drove home, walked back to SVTires, and picked up the Sube.

This is all to say that while I didn't walk immense distances today, I walked enough to give my toe a bit of a workout and it held up great. Yes, I feel tinges of discomfort, but, all in all, my mobility was strong and my foot gave me no problem when I unloaded the winter tires out of the back of the Sube and stacked them in the garage. 

2. This afternoon, I spent a couple or three hours looking at albums I have posted over at flickr. My plan is to print some photos and frame them to put on the walls in the Vizio room and bedroom. I have hundreds of nature photographs, but, for what I have in mind, I'm more drawn to portraits I took on the streets of Eugene, New York City, and Washington, DC, including pictures of people holding hands. Unless I have a major switch of moods, I think I'll be putting people on my walls, not flowers, leaves, or waterfowl. 

3. After dinner, Debbie and I watched Columbo crack a case involving Tyne Daily as the miserable, lonely, lusty, dipsomaniacal wife of a football team owner, a character straight out of Tennessee Williams. She's having an affair with her nephew, a gambling addict deep in financial debt to a mobster, and when she comes to realize that both her husband and nephew are using her, she takes matters into her own hands. She was crafty, but she got outwitted by Lt. Columbo with the help of a timely haircut.

Dinner emerged from a fun HelloFresh bag of delicious ingredients. First, I sliced a lemon into quarters and chopped a handful of Brussels sprouts and a couple of green onions. I put a pot of salty water on to boil and toasted panko bread crumbs with scallion whites in a tablespoon of butter. Once the salty water began to boil, I dropped a packet of spaghetti in it.

I turned off the heat under the now golden bread crumbs and transferred them into a small bowl.

I wiped the pan clean and cooked the chopped Brussels sprouts until tender and then added a small amount of red chili flakes. 

I moved the Brussels sprouts off the heat, drained the spaghetti, and in the now empty spaghetti pot, I put a cup of pasta water and a packet of cheese roux. I cooked this for a couple of minutes until it thickened a bit and added a packet of cream cheese and stirred this mixture until the cheese melted and combined.

Now it was time for the grand finale! Into the pot with the sauce I just made I added the cooked spaghetti, tender chopped Brussels sprouts, Parmesan cheese, garlic herb butter, the scallion greens, and the juice of half the lemon. 

Once this was all combined, the garlic herb butter melted, and it cooked briefly, I got out a couple of bowls. Debbie and I each served ourselves a helping of Lemony Spaghetti with Brussels Spouts and topped our pasta with the toasted panko and the white part of the scallions. If we wanted more lemon juice on our helping, that, too, was an option.

This dinner was a blast for me to cook up and we both loved eating it. 

No comments: