Saturday, July 20, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 07/19/13: Rita Visit, Two Quick Stops, Zoe at Creswell Coffee and Wine

1.  I sat still and content while the Subaru hurled me down I-5 to Creswell and I spent several hours visiting with Rita.  My.  It was twenty years ago this summer that I met with Rita over at 5th Street Market and she had mapped out this interdisciplinary approach for students to earn their AAOT degree, had had two classrooms remodeled with her vision for learning in mind, and had conceived of ways for us to teach composition and philosophy together that, in many ways, turned my experience as a teacher upside down. 

2.  Rita and I made two quick stops in Creswell:  we went to the used clothes store Rita's friend Linda runs (was it called Got Clothes?) .  The clothes are in great shape and nothing costs more that five bucks.  Then we went to the Creswell Bakery.  Oh, my!  What a handsome spot!  What gorgeous breads and savories and sweet treats and I learned more about the splendid lunches and dinners available at the home of Heidi Tunnel's Catering Company.

3.  Our third stop was for lunch at Creswell Coffee and Wine over by the Bi-Mart in Creswell.  What a gem of a place this is.  I had a turkey pesto panini with chicken dumpling soup.  It was delicious and made all the more enjoyable by the fact that Zoe Sisson, my good friend and student of mine from years ago is the soup lady at Creswell Coffee and Wine and so not only did I get to eat a splendid lunch, I got to introduce Rita and Zoe and we managed to squeeze in a little conversation.




No comments: