Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 07/30/13: Eugene (Near) Perfection, "Fruitvale Station" Moved Me, Two Best Bitters at the Pour House

1.  This kind of day in Eugene nears perfection:  overcast morning, keeping the cool night air locked in through much of the morning and then sunshine in the afternoon, but not blistering heat. Then the evening cools down quickly with the help of intermittent breezes.  That cool air has moisture in it, great for the yard and garden. 

2.  Twenty-two year old Oscar Grant should never have been killed at Fruitvale Station by the panicked, point-blank gunfire into his back while prone of a Bay Area Rapid Transit police officer as New Year's Eve became New Year's Day, as 2008 became 2009.  So how did Oscar Grant's life lead to this moment of death?  To his fate? What past deeds could he never escape, despite his wobbly efforts and his unsure desire to start over again?  What do the twenty-four hours leading to his death show us about him as a flawed, loving, confused, helpful, and fun-loving father, son, lover, criminal, and friend?  To me, these were the questions the movie Fruitvale Station tackled in ways I experienced as original and heartbreaking, intimate and troubling.  I was "assigned" to see this movie by MB.  Tomorrow we'll talk about it over coffee. 

3.  I strolled over to the Pour House for a couple of pints of Best Bitter and Patsy was there! We talked. Lynn U. came in to check out this new business!  We talked. I sat at the end of the bar, drank my beers slowly, and had a great chat about beer and the Falling Sky approach to things when the server brought my second beer to me.  It was a pretty close to perfect way to relax, think more about Fruitvale Station, and bring my evening to a close. 

No comments: