Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 07/16/13: Improvised Bean Soup, Outer Banks Fun, Chris and Martina

1.  I improvised.  The small red beans were cooked and I sauteed celery, onion, zucchini, broccoli, red cabbage, and mushrooms, and threw them in the pot of cooked beans, clean water, and carrots.  I seasoned it with this Greek seasoning stuff I have on hand and let it simmer for a while and it's really good.  I swear.  For me, the key to a pretty good soup is cabbage.  And maybe some carrots.  I love what the cabbage and carrots do to this improvised soup.

2.  I had a good talk with the Deke, who is having a great stay with her cousin and daughters and grandchildren and other family on the Outer Banks off North Carolina.  She sounds happy, especially with how much fun her daughters are having.  Today they went on a good sized boat and caught fish and returned them to the water.  The Deke stayed behind and watched the little kids.  It all sounds solidly good.

3.  I like watching documentaries made for the ESPN 30 for 30 series.  This evening I watched, Unmatched, a short film about the fierce rivalry and deep friendship that Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova share.  It's a very impressive relationship.  I wish the film could have been longer with more extended passages of them playing tennis.  As it was, though, their stories were intriguing, their competitiveness fascinating, and their love and respect for each other touching and admirable.  In the course of my lifetime, they are two of my very favorite athletes. 

No comments: