Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 07/15/13: Corgis to the Vet, Bijou Movie Talk, Boddington's at the Bier Stein

1.  Okay.  I admit it.  It was stressful.  I'm anxious about the corgis somehow squirming out of their harnesses or some other crummy thing happening.  But, I got them to the vet, the technician helped me tighten up Maggie's harness (thank God) and I got them home and back in the house safely.  The corgis went into panting overdrive at the vet's, but all in all did pretty well.  I learned this and that and know what to look for.  The best news: the vet said, "These are obviously very happy dogs."  I replied, "Yes.  They are."

2.  I went to the Bijou Classic movie theater to see Much Ado About Nothing and the fella who works the ticket counter told me it wasn't showing.  The projector busted.  Then he told me it would be moving to the Bijou Metro on Friday.  That was good news.  No one was really around buying tickets or anything and we fell into a very satisfying conversation about movies, sparked by our shared enthusiasm for Angel's Share.  It was kind of fun listening to him, a young guy, a film enthusiast, and one of those film enthusiasts who makes his points using words like "fetishize" and "paternalistic" and the "Kitchen Sink School".   I don't want a steady diet of what sounded to me like academic film journal talk or graduate school seminar talk, but he was so sincere and enthused that I enjoyed it.

3.  So, that talk about about movies from Great Britain that tell stories about the working class reminded me that the Bier Stein had Boddington's on the nitro.  So, I thought, I'll go over and have a couple of pints and enjoy the busyness and good vibe at the Bier Stein.  And so I did. 

No comments: