Friday, July 5, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 07/04/13: Moving Soil, Party at Zoe's!, The Corgis and Explosions from 9-1

1.  I was an earthmover today.  I moved cart after cart of the soil I bought a few weeks ago into the area beneath the bathroom and my room and now things are ready for me to plant to the last bed of flowers and/or shrubs.  I also prepared a smaller bed over by the north fence, west of the gate.  It gets quite a bit of sun and I'd like it to be have a lot of color.  I'll be doing the buying and planting of flowers on Saturday. 

2.  Zoe, CJ, and Nicole invited me up to their house for a party and I got to meet some people I didn't know and sit around and talk and have some great food.  Among other great food, Zoe and CJ teamed up to make a cowboy steak that was out of this world.  It was a fun afternoon.

3.  Okay.  What we celebrate on the 4th of July is important to me, but I keep my thoughts to myself for reasons I don't really understand.   I really don't like, however, how we celebrate it.  I'm not into fireworks (on any occasion) or loud noise.  I came home from Zoe's family's party around 6:30 in anticipation of the first explosions starting around our neighborhood because the dogs needed to know they weren't alone amidst the the noise.  The noise started in earnest about 9:00 and continued until 1 a.m.  My plan worked.  Maggie, as expected, was unaffected, but wanted to be near me.  Charly wanted to be right by me, with physical contact when possible, and then she was fine.  I know there have been years when the fireworks made Charly shake, but she didn't shake on July 4, 2013.  Staying close to me kept her calm.  I slept intermittently, my dreams made weird by the the big bangs occurring near and far, but at least the handful of bangs that shook our house a little were few in number and burst in the air closer to 10 than to 1.

No comments: