Sunday, July 28, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 07/27/13: Old Friends and Mass at St. Jude's, Choo Chii at Ta Ra Rin, Chez Troxstar

1.  My mind was so fixed on memories of Ann Marie Prengaman as I prepared to go to the mass at St. Jude's in honor of her life and to gain assurance of her days in heaven, that I didn't think much about all the people I love so much who have retired from LCC and who would be there.  And there they were:  Dan, Ted, Adeline, Cherry, Barbara, Susan, Karen, and Ted.  Who might I be forgetting?  Anyway, I nearly burst inside with happiness to see these good friends.  I also enjoyed seeing Lynn and Linda and Pam and Kate and others, whom I see less frequently now that I've retired.  I may have decided it was time to retire from LCC the institution, but never from all the people I love such much and have known so long in my work there.

2.  I decided to have some solitude after the reception for Ann Marie and went to Ta Ra Rin and ordered the Choo Chii, white fish simmered in red curry paste with cabbage, bell peppers, carrots, and peas, given aromatic flavor with basil and a touch of Kaffir leaves. I'd never had this before, I ordered it hot, and it turned out to be a meal where the deeper I got into it the better and better it tasted. It made me very happy.

3.  I headed over to chez Troxstar and we split a growler of terrific Falling Sky bitter, added a bottle of Deschutes Twilight Summer Ale to the mix, watched people stroll to the fair and walk their dogs, listened to some Joe Jackson, the B-52s, and Nick Lowe on vinyl, and had a burger grilled over mesquite coals.  How is that for bringing a splendid day to a close? 

No comments: