Saturday, July 27, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 07/26/13: Working Away, Amateur in the Kitchen, First Time at Falling Sky Deli

1.  Shovel out a dandelion here.  Pull grass out of a flower bed there.  Water.  Mow.  Sweep the sidewalks.  Hose them down. Keep at it.  Don't look at what's undone.  Be happy with what gets done. I'm not a pro.  The yard doesn't look professionally kept up.  It looks like an amateur enjoying himself is working away.

2.  Amateur alert!  I made a bean/rice/vegetable/cilantro soup/stew in an "I could never repeat this" way.  It's good.  It's kidney friendly.  It was fun to create.  It's an amateur's delight.

3.  It opened a little over a week ago and this evening I strolled over the new Falling Sky Deli for a couple pints of bitter (I can't remember Falling Sky's clever name for it).  This long, busy beer drinking room and deli is only two blocks away.  It's been since 1984 that I lived this close to a joint I wanted to go to.  The crowd was young, mellow crowd, knots of smart people talking about movies and food around the area and who's doing what and, of course, relationships.  I sat alone outside on the deck, listened to the city bus stop and go, savored my beer, and enjoyed being in the presence of so much earnest discussion and vibrant laughter. 

No comments: