Friday, April 22, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 04/21/16: The Machine Works!, Drinking Like a Buddhist, Mulligatawny Soup Stirs Memories

1.  In our apartment building we have two washers and two dryers and to operate them we put a money card in a slot. The machine we use to add value to our laundry card is over at the leasing office building. I had one more load of laundry to do, but the value adding machine at the leasing office building was busted. Yesterday, I lumbered over to the leasing office building twice, but the sign telling us that repairs were forthcoming was on the machine.  Today, however, I experienced a small victory. The machine had been repaired. I added value to our card. I took care of our last load of laundry for a while.

2. Stone Brewing is marking its 20th anniversary with an Encore Series by bringing back some of its anniversary beers from the past. Late this afternoon, the Deke and I split a bomber of one of our favorites.  It's the 12th anniversary Stone Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout and it's yet another specialty beer we wish wouldn't go away -- but the Deke and I know we live in a world where everything is temporary and Stone Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout will be with us for just a short while, inspiring us to savor the bottle we had tonight and to enjoy each and every glass, bottle, or can of beer we drink in the knowledge that it, too, may (or will) one day pass.

3.  You probably already know that mulligatawny soup is an English soup derived from an Indian sauce recipe, but back in the late 1980s I didn't know that. It wasn't until one afternoon when I walked into the Bagel Bakery (when it was located on 8th Street where Pacific Winds is now) and I saw Mulligatawny Soup listed as the soup of the day. Linda, the British co-proprietor of the Bagel Bakery, was working the counter and I asked about mulligatawny soup and she explained what it was and I figured if it tasted any where near as delicious as it smelled, I was in for a deep pleasure. I loved it and when I finished the soup I immediately thought that I had to make some of that (and I did) and this afternoon this memory and the deep pleasure of mulligatawny soup returned to me as I assembled onions, ginger, garlic, carrots, Granny Smith apples, diced tomatoes, lentils, and chicken stock and seasoned it all with curry powder, cumin, tumeric, garam masala, red pepper flakes, and thyme and poured in a can of coconut milk after it was all cooked. In the bowl, I added cilantro and lime juice -- I could have added a dollop of yogurt -- and, oh my, what a great soup and how fun it was to remember how much I loved Bagel Bakery all those years.  My gratitude for Linda and her kindness and her mulligatawny soup returned. It was a perfect meal -- stimulating flavors, complex aroma, and sweet memories. Want the recipe?  It's right here.  I'm sorry I can't link you to my many happy memories of Bagel Bakery, though.

No comments: